Wednesday, February 9, 2011

SWEET SIN

(it wouldn't be so hard to give up if it wasn't so sweet!)

SWEET SIN

I have an affinity for sugar

And it so happens that my sin is sweet.

When its done

All I'm left with is a desire for more,

As I lick my lips.

For scripture lay it out,

‘For that which I do, I allow not,

For what I would, that I do not,

But what I hate, that I do.’

And so do I!

Yet the sin in its sweetness

Has sanctioned spiritual decay.

It begins as a chipping away

Of my spiritual resistance,

For instance,

My ability

To say no to sin and have the devil flee from me.

It graduates into a throbbing pain,

That thrashes away

Like a madman enraged.

At this juncture sin seems too costly to sustain

Yet steep in sin I stay!

Moving on from pain

To spiritual numbness,

Characterised by gross indifference

To the matters that matter to God!

Like souls being sold for gold,

Penniless widows thrown out into the cold,

Neglect and abandon of our elderly and old;

And yet I boldly

Claim to be one of His own,

Having Him exalted and enthroned,

In my life!

But I lie!

Because in my eyes,

My sin is sweet

And has me licking my lips!

No comments:

Post a Comment